In 1954 Irving Mondore started CNYAA. Irving was both a diary farmer and used car salesman. Originally named Syracuse Auto Auction, Irving built his business into one of the nation's most successful wholesale auto auctions. Similar to other auctions, Syracuse Auto Auction went through a growth spurt and outgrew its original facility. In 1962, Irving changed the auction to an evening sale. Met with immediate success, the auction consignment and attendance doubled in size! Irving again met this challenge and built a new multi-lane facility with a cafeteria, lounge, lobby and administrative offices. This was considered to be innovative for the time period!